Written by relationship blogger, Telisha Ng.
The golden smiles and endearing affection that power couple Beyonce and Jay-Z show each other at each celebrity sighting frightens me. It frightens me so much that I will never settle for a relationship that does not contain that high level of power and passion. It simply wouldn’t work.
I don’t mean to disappoint but this is not a case study on the wealthiest couple in music today. I picked this couple as the perfect example of how it is possible for two powerful and passionate beings to be in love without overthrowing the balance of gender roles or losing steam (10 years+). I did not always think this way.
I grew up learning all the right things to do to get a man like the sexy Jessica Rabbit walk, but nothing about keeping him happy and feeling loved on a day-to-day basis. Contrary to all the bad press men have been getting about only being sexual beings, they crave love, affection and support just as much as the ladies do.
This Valentine’s Day, the best gift you can give your partner is the gift of empowerment. That’s right! Empowerment doesn’t come in immaculate packaging with bows and ribbons but it must become just as valuable. There are five things that you can do daily to create a long lasting ripple effect of passion in your relationship. Check these out:
- Take an Interest: Take time each day to give your partner an update on the blog world and ask about their interests. In time your partner will become like a coach or accountability partner, and this is vital for our success. So often we leave our partners out of the planning and execution process of our projects. This can cause a break in the passion channel – keep it flowing via conversation.
- Be Open to Trying New Things: This is inside and outside of the bedroom. You must have something you are dying to experience whether that is a new restaurant, tickets to a new show that just hit Broadway, or front row center seats at an NBA game. Do share your mini “bucket list” with your partner and get them equally excited about trying something new.
- Constantly Reinforce: Let’s be honest, when you are in a relationship the happiness of your partner is your responsibility. I am a huge fan of positive reinforcements. This means empowering your partner by putting emphasis on what you love about them. This is the emotional affection that each and every individual desires.
- Spontaneity: If there is one thing I am grateful for, it is a committed relationship with a man who is equally as spontaneous as I am. Grab the car keys one day, pack one set of clothes and hit the road with your partner. The thrill of not knowing where you will end up or where you are going is not only a thrill-seeking experience, but a passionate one as well. You will both feel empowered to make more spontaneous moves in life.
- Link Success to Sexuality: I don’t necessarily believe that sex should be used as punishment or reward in a relationship but I do believe that you can give success a sexy edge. For example, when I see my partner exhibit his great qualities I will let him know in secret that it turns me on. “Your determination and hard work ethic turns me on.” It’s as simple as that. I can’t contain myself and my emotions, because there is passion flowing. Empower your partner to feel like he/she is royalty as often as you can and keep it spicy please!
All this emphasis on the great times makes you wonder what to do during the tough times? This is where your new skills will come into play. No matter what challenges your relationships encounter, you always have a choice to improve the situation or make it worse than it has to be. Empowering your relationship is really about creating an environment where both parties are comfortable being who they are at all times. Expressing what turns you on, spontaneously taking a road trip one weekend or trying new activities together creates a stronger bond which is particularly helpful in tough times.
So when we see candid shots of Beyonce and Jay-Z in all their glitz and glamour, remember that they have quarrels and giggles just like any other human couple. Being empowered in your relationship is not just about being powerful alone –it’s about being powerful as a team.
Telisha Ng is the Creator of Battle of the Sexes Show, and Goddess Intellect Relationship Coach. You can always find Telisha offering fun wisdom and sound advice on relationships. It’s her mission to bring men and women together for love, respect and flirtatious freedom to make the world a better place. Find more information at: